Preparing to GO
Connect with one of our staff, we'd love to get to know you and help you however we can.
Visit the Get In Touch page and drop us a note!
Some ideas to help you on your way:
- Read everything about missions and missionaries that you can get your hands on.
A few suggestions:
- Mountain Rain: Biography of James O. Fraser (Eileen Crossman)
- Eternity in Their Hearts (Don Richardson)
- Passion for the Heart of God (John Zumwalt)
- From Jerusalem to Irian Jaya: A Biographical History of Christian Missions (Ruth Tucker)
- To Timbuktu and Beyond: A Guide to Getting Started in Missions (Marsha Woodard)
- Get involved in the missions awareness and mobilization programs of your fellowship or college. If you don’t have one start one! Beautiful Feet will help you.
- Get educated. Take Perspectives on the World Christian Movement. A 15-week course on missions!
- Go hear every missionary speaker that you can. Often God uses their words to speak and to clarify His desires.
- Talk to your Spiritual Mentor. This may be your pastor or small group leader. Tell him about your desire and ask him for his help in getting you ready. This is crucial. Remember that your calling is not a promotion. Stay humble, you haven’t done anything yet.
- Become active in ministry to the unchurched. Learning how to minister in love and consistency to the “lost” in our own culture before flying to the other side of the planet is important. If you can’t do it here with people who speak your language, what makes you think you can do it in a radically different cultural group?
- Start a small group. Get some experience leading a group. Study a book of the Bible, or lead a book study and discussion group.
- Befriend internationals. Invite refugees, international students, immigrants to your home for meals. Enjoy them and their cultures.
- Get out of debt. Debt will thwart your ability to go as a missionary. You may need to make sacrifices, limit spending, and get extra work to pay it off as quickly as possible.
- Go on a short-term mission trip to the unreached. A mission trip to the unreached will help you analyze the call of God on your life and give you a taste of real life. Many times it is good to take one of more short-term mission trips to the area where you plan on serving.
- Get training! Beautiful Feet Boot Camp has been described as the best training available for missionaries going to the unreached. Take advantage of this excellent preparation.
- Go! Beautiful Feet and our partner ministries stand ready to help you in your deployment and on-field care.